Dept. of Coffee and Social Affairs: Cute Name, B+ Rating.

By Aaron Lawlor
aaronlawlor@gmail.com

I'm getting a later start than normal.  Sometimes sobriety comes with wild-ass dreams that I either didn't have before or don't remember from when I was in active addiction.  Needless to say, last night's tossing and turning is requiring an extra cup of coffee to get my morning started.

I have to be in Lincoln Park later, so I settle on the Department of Coffee and Social Affairs at Halsted and Diversey.  It's in my caffeination rotation for a few reasons: 1) the coffee is strong and the snacks are tasty, 2) the people who work here are super nice, 3) funny tip jars crack me up (Today's option offered two jars: "World Domination" and "World Peace".  I chose the latter, twice.).

I order my standard, a bottomless drip coffee, and opt for the medium blend they are brewing today.  I'm digging around for my punch card that is normally parked in my wallet when the barista gives me a heads up that they recently upped their game and took their customer loyalty program digital.  I plug in my number and get a text telling me how many points I earned.

The decor at Department of Coffee and Social Affairs is no frills.  A clean and simple storefront with plenty of natural light, white ceilings and walls, gray tile floors, and one brick wall that brings a touch of warmth into the space.  The only splash of color comes from the teal counter which sports the store's name and a world map...an apt accent for this bureaucratically-named barista station.  

Simple oak-topped tables with legs made out of metal pipes fill the space and are paired with white metal chairs.  Three brown armless couches line the brick interior wall and offer a comfy and slightly warmer spot to sit.  If the Department of Social and Coffee Affairs was funded with tax dollars, there'd be a congressional hearing on their utility spending.  It's cold in here today!  


I opted for the light roast on my second cup.  Both the light and medium roasts do the job.  I'm also a big fan of their tea collection, which sports a number of interesting options.  I enjoyed the turmeric blend on a previous visit.

A couple hours into powering through my to-do list, I'm getting hungry.  My sweet tooth doesn't usually kick in till...let's say after President Trump's "executive time" is over (aka afternoon).  So I settle on the spinach, feta, and broccoli quiche.  The protein-plentiful, all-day menu option was d-e-lish.  The sandwich and pastry case looks equally yummy.

My only critique was that I had to wash it down with a Pellegrino instead of my goto mineral water, Topo Chico.  I know...of all the things to critique; however, the carbonation in Topo Chico is far superior to any mineral water I've tried.  AND, people who are "off the sauce" need fascinating things to sip on.  For me, that's Topo Chico.

Speaking of to-do lists, I have mixed reviews for the Department of Coffee and Social Affairs when it comes to how well it powers productivity seekers.  The space lends itself to getting work done.  The music isn't too loud and even the chattiest of customers aren't disruptive.  However, if your ability to be productive relies on a battery, be sure to come fully charged.  There are only a handful of electric outlets along the window.  On the upside, there is a "Print with Me" station that is easy to use their app.  The prices are a little expensive, but you can't beat the colocation of coffee and printing in a pinch.  I've used it before heading into a job interview and it was definitely helpful.  PS - I forgot to mention that Volumes Book Cafe offers the same amenity.

Two cups of coffee and a Pellegrino in...you know what comes next.  Department of Coffee and Social Affairs shares their single, unisex washroom with the office across the hall.  It's well-maintained and offers a corner table to place your bag on (a thoughtful and sanitary gesture).  

I head back to my seat.  It's warming up a bit and I'm ready to roll.  


What I didn't know until this visit is that the Department of Coffee and Social Affairs has three other locations in Chicago and over 20 cafes in the UK, something I will have to keep in my for my next trip across the pond.  Also, "Social Affairs" a double entendre for good times with friends and their social responsibility work around the globe.

Their creative name brought this former government geek in the front door and I come back when it's convenient.  Quiet, unassuming and quality sums up this Lincoln Park locale.  I give it a Sober Sommelier B+.

What others are saying...

Yelp
Foursquare

Aaron Lawlor is a freelance writer, talented public speaker, and public relations expert.  Aaron is in recovery from addiction and shares his reviews of Chicago's best spots for coffee.

Comments