Ipsento 606: A Sober Sommelier A-



By Aaron Lawlor
aaronlawlor@gmail.com

Fresh off my therapist’s couch, my head (and schedule) is clear to launch into some work over a cup of coffee at Ipsento 606 in Bucktown.

It’s a cool and damp spring day, but I decided to walk over on the 606 anyway. This three-mile, rails-to-trails reinvention is one of my favorite parts of living west of the Kennedy. With spring in bloom and the Chicago Marathon in sight, the 606 is coming alive with runners, walkers, and bikers sauntering along this beautifully landscaped and well-maintained path. 


It’s a short walk, but the chill is cutting through my jacket and hoodie combo as I take the
606’s Milwaukee exit and cross the street halfway between North and Armitage. Ipsento 606 greets you with an airy, inviting feel. A chill, trance-inspired soundtrack plays lightly in the background and a playful conversation between Ipsento staff adds a warm ambiance as I walk up to the counter. 


It’s noon, but Ipsento isn’t playing host to many lunch dates. Most people are flying solo and are focused on their work de jour at one of the many metallic bar stools and dark high-top tables.

High ceilings and big white walls adorned with drawings for sale by a local artist, Jordan Wosolek, make the space feel roomy. Two glass garage doors sit in the back waiting to be opened up in warmer weather and give customers a nice view of a well-manicured park that sits on the 606. I’m spread out at the only available table, a comfortable low-top in the front window.

I had my usual; a black drip coffee. They were brewing a Guatemalan blend today, and I liked it enough to have two cups. Strong, but not bitter, the Ipsento blend matches the upscale, but not “too cool for school” atmosphere it is served in. The only thing Ipsento could upgrade is their choice in mineral water. I was jonesing for a Topo Chico but had to settle for a Pellegrino. #firstworldproblems 


The food is superb. After some carnivorous consternation over the lack of meat on their breakfast sandwich menu, I opted for the “Debbie“ with a side salad. Served on whole grain bread with a fried egg, cheddar, tomato, and basil butter, this breakfast-for-lunch meal was perfectly balanced. The side salad was no sideshow. It was a star on its own - a simple, well-seasoned spinach salad with a perfect blend of oil, salt, pepper and caramelized seeds that added just the right amount of sweet to this savory accompaniment. 

Now, I know what you’re thinking, “Enough with this great coffee and food business. We have to pee. What about the johns?” Well, I’ll tell you. The washrooms are single-seater, handicap accessible toilets with accent lighting and plastic plants that seem to have been borrowed from the nearest college dorm room. Aside from a loose toilet seat, the Ipsento 606 pit stop passed muster with flying colors.

I was full of energy when I walked in, but my computer was not. Fortunately, every table and counter space at Ipsento 606 has a dedicated electric outlet within reach. Two cups of coffee and a yummy breakfast sandwich later, my bod and my laptop are moving full speed ahead.

Ipsento 606’s adorable mini donuts come with a mini price after 4 p.m. (just 64 cents). I

got three - a chocolate frosted, chocolate sprinkle and cinnamon sugar. These one or two-bite sugar fixes are not as tasty as they are cute, but I’m still glad I got them.

One sober disclaimer - Ipsento 606 sports a snazzy cocktail menu that this caffeinated caballero can easily abstain from. However, some of my sober sisters and brothers may have a harder time with that and, thus, it is worthy of a warning.

When you put it all together, we have a winner folks! Ipsento 606 wins the first Sober Sommelier A- for its chill and magnetic vibe, stellar food menu and tasty jolt of joe, all served up by a super cool staff.

Ipsento 606
1813 N. Milwaukee
Open: Sun-Thurs 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. and Fri-Sat 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.
https://www.ipsento.com/606


What others are saying!
Yelp!
ZAGAT
Trip Advisor


Aaron Lawlor is a freelance writer, talented public speaker and public relations expert.  Aaron is in recovery from addiction and shares his reviews of Chicago's best spots for coffee.

Comments